Rhode Island Stamp Issues
and Covers 1846 to 1900
1893 Two Cent Columbian
Exposition Issue - Brown-Violet - Scott #231
Imperial Size Envelope Canceled at Kingston, RI on March 6, 1893
Mailed to Elisha A. Peckham in Middletown, (Newport County), RI
(Scroll Down for Historical Background and Information on the
The World's Columbian Exposition
held in Chicago, Illinois from May
1 to October 30, 1893
commemorated the 400th anniversary
of the European discovery of America
by Christopher Columbus. The United
States Post Office issued a set of
what is generally accepted as the first
commemorative stamps for the occasion. Sixteen
different stamps were issued ranging
in value from 1 cent to 5
dollars. The most common
stamp in the issue was the 2 cent variety,
which paid the domestic first class rate of
The stamps were printed
by the American Bank Note Company
and were issued on January
2, 1893 with the exception of the 8
cent value, which was issued
on March 3, 1893. The 2
cent Columbian was issued in sheets
of 200 with two
panes of 100
stamps each and also in sheets of 100
with two panes
of 50 stamps each.
||Covers actually canceled at the Worlds Fair with either the
Station Hand Stamp or Machine Cancel are highly sought and
fetch premium prices.
The 2 cent issue has several error
varieties including the "Broken
Hat," "Broken Frame,"
"Double, Triple & Quadruple Transfers,"
and the "Cracked Plate"
The cover was addressed to Elisha
A. Peckham in Middletown,
Rhode Island. Elisha Angell Peckham
was born on December 25, 1857 in
Middletown, RI. He was an 8th generation
descendent of John Peckham, (born
1607 - Westhrope, Suffolk, England). Elisha died
on March 14, 1941. He was married
to Lillie P. in 1885
and they had two children; Elizabeth
M. and Elisha Raymond.
The cover was sent from and canceled at Kingston.
The Post Office at Kingston, (South
Kingstown Township, Washington County) Rhode
Island was established
on January 3, 1826 with James
S. Taylor as Postmaster.
The post office was disestablished
on December 31, 1941 and became a station
of Wakefield, RI. This post office
was originally known as "Little
Rest," (October 1, 1807 to January 3, 1826). Cancels
from Little Rest are known only in Manuscript.
"Checklist of Rhode Island Post
Offices 1790-1994" by Del Beaudreau
lists the Little Rest Post Office as "Pre-1790."