Rhode Island Around
the World - International Mail
Cover from Saint Helena through Port of New Orleans
Via New York Registry Office to Alton, Rhode Island
Franked with Three 1938-1940 King George
(Scroll Down for Background Information and History)
The Registered Cover above was
sent from the island of Saint Helena in April 1939
entered the United States postal system at New Orleans on April
It was then forwarded through the New York Registry Office
and arrived in Alton, Rhode Island
on April 21, 1939.
The cover is franked with three King
George VI issues; two of which are
damaged. The stamps are the 1938-1940 "Badge of
the Colony" issues; 1/2 pence purple,
1 pence green and 6 pence gray-blue
#s 118, 119 and 123).
Saint Helena is an island and British
Colony in the South Atlantic Ocean about 1,200
miles west of South Africa. The island has
an area of 47 square miles. The capitol is Jamestown.
The islands of Ascension and the island group of Tristan
da Cunha are dependencies of Saint Helena. The population
of the island is approximately 5,700.
The island was first discovered in 1502 by
the Spanish navigator Joao da Nova Castella. The island
was occupied by the Portuguese and then the Dutch,
however in 1659 the English "East India Company"
took possession of the island. Napoleon
was confined on Saint Helena from October
1815 until his death in May 1821. During this
period the island was placed under the jurisdiction of the
British crown. The East India Company
resumed control of the island in 1821 until 1834
after which the island was placed under the Crown once again.
Saint Helena is was formed
by volcanic activity, however all of the island's volcanoes
are now extinct. The highest point is 2,690 feet and
a narrow valley extends about 1.5 miles from James
Bay on the northwestern side of the island. The capitol city and
port of Jamestown, (the only city on the island)
is in this valley. The island is home to at least 40 species of
plants found nowhere else in the world.
Two thirds of the colony's budget
is provided by the Great Britain in the form of a subsidy;
the rest is raised from the sale of postage stamps, customs
duties and wharf fees.