Rhode Island Picture
North Lighthouse - New Shorham,
Block Island, RI - Circa 1960
The first lighthouse was built
on this site in 1829 to mark the entrance to the Long Island Sound and
warn sailors away from Sandy Point which extends several miles out
from Block Island.
Two additional structures were
built in 1837 and in 1857. The present lighthouse,
was built in 1867 approximately 700 yards from the end of the point.
(The three previous lighthouses
were known as the "Sandy Point Light.")
The North Light was automated in
1956 and deactivated in 1973. A tower was built a short distance away
replacing the old light.
In 1989, the town of New Shorham
received a Federal grant of $400,000.00 and the building was restored.
North Light was opened to the public as a Museum on August 5, 1989.