Rhode Island Picture
Poplar Point Light - Wickford,
The Poplar Point
Lighthouse overlooks the West Passage of Narragansett Bay. The
lighthouse was built in 1831. The south arm of the breakwater
protecting Wickford Harbor is to the left of the lighthouse.
This point is also the site of the first land fortification
in North America.
The Lighthouse was
replaced in 1882 by the
Wickford Harbor Light which
stood 200 yards offshore from the Poplar Point Light. The
Wickford Harbor Lighthouse was torn down and replaced by an
automated light tower in 1930. (The
automated light tower on the breakwater to the left marks the
spot where the Wickford Harbor Light once stood.)
The Poplar Point Lighthouse was sold to Albert Sherman in 1894.
It is now much enlarged and has remained a private residence
since that time. It is believed to be the oldest wooden
lighthouse in the United States.