Rhode Island Picture Post Cards
Trinity Church Founded 1698 Interior View - Sent 1907
(Scroll Down For History and Background Information)

The original Trinity Church was constructed in 1701 and the present church was built in 1726 on Queen Anne Square in downtown Newport. The church was modeled after the "Old North Church" in Boston. Trinity Church is constructed entirely of wood and contains the only three-tiered, wine glass pulpit in the United States. The windows are of Tiffany stained-glass. The congregation first met in 1698 and the parish is the oldest in Rhode Island. The original parishioner's included Quakers, Huguenots and Anglicans. The church was refurbished again in 1987.

One of the original church preachers was the Reverend George Berkeley, who later became the the Bishop of Cloyne in Ireland.

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Picture Postcard
Thumbnail Page Part 7