The Post Office at
(North Smithfield Township, Providence County),
was established on July 31, 1890,
with Ernst A.
Mowry as Postmaster. The
post office is currently in operation under Postmaster Kristen L.
Schwartz appointed on October 30, 2004.
of the State of Rhode Island with Illustrations"
published by Hong, Wade & Co
in 1878 states the following:
"Forestdale. One-half mile below
Slatersville, on the same stream, is situated this interesting manufacturing
village, owned by the Forestdale Manufacturing Co. This company was chartered
May, 1871. The company have warehouses, a store, and sixty-one tenements in
connection with their factories. The upper mill is a stone structure, three
stories high, 68 x 166 feet, with an L of same height, 44 x 65 feet. The lower
mill is of stone, also, and is a two-story structure, 34 x 94 feet. The
company have a complete establishment, and are doing an extensive business.
They make, upon their own premises, the gas used in lighting the factory and
the village. The two factories contain 15,216 spindles and 322 looms, and
employ about 225 hands. The upper mill was built by Mansfield & Lamb, in
1860. These parties sold out to J. & W. Slater and George W. Holt, who
afterwards formed the present company, John Slater, William Slater, and Alfred
Read, who have added steam-power to run the mill when short of water."
Forestdale Post Office