The Post Office at
(Hopkinton Township, Washington County),
was established in 1811.
The first Postmaster
was Jeremiah Thurston. The
actual date of opening is unknown, however the Postmaster's
first quarterly report
was sent in on July 1, 1811.
This post office is currently in operation under Postmaster Jennifer A.
Ericksen appointed on October 16, 2004.
was born in Hopkinton
on October 17, 1797
and Lydia Taylor Thurston.
He married Mary Brown
on October 9, 1822.
in Hartford, Connecticut
on March 8, 1852.
Jeremiah was a sixth generation descendant
of Edward Thurston,
(born in England in 1617 and died in
Newport, Rhode Island on March 1, 1707).
is a quaint little village in the southwest corner of Rhode Island. The town
contains several well preserved homes
dating back to the 18th
and 19th centuries.
The area contains many ponds and rivers, which are home to some excellent
fishing. The area also includes
several old fashioned general stores
and many antique shops
and farm stands.
General Thurston House,
(bed & board)
built in 1763
provides excellent accommodations while visiting the area. The house was built
by George Thurston
(born 1741 died 1827)
who served in the Revolution
and afterwards rose to the rank of Brigadier
General in the
was the grandfather
NO POST OFFICE PHOTO AVAILABLE