Rhode Island Postal Cards - Fist Day of Issue

Settling of Rhode Island by Roger Williams in 1636
Designed by David Blossom - Scott #UX112
Issued on June 26, 1986 in Providence, RI
Rhode Island Town Cancels (by RIPS)

Kenyon, Rhode Island 02836

The Post Office at Kenyon, (Richmond Township, Washington County), Rhode Island was established on March 26, 1888. The first Postmaster was Levi J. Cornell. The post office  is currently in operation under Postmaster Susan M. Walajtys appointed on March 6, 1993.

The Census of 1880 lists Levi Cornell as living in Richmond, Rhode Island and his occupation as farmer. His birth is listed as 1843 in Connecticut.

The Samuel Clark House built in 1691 and located on Lewiston Avenue in Kenyon is on the National Historic Register. The property also contains an old schoolhouse and blacksmith shop. Two black and white photographs of the house are available from the: Library of Congress, Prints and Photograph Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

Kenyon Post Office

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Settling of RI
Thumbnail Page Part 3