The Post Office at North Scituate, (Scituate
Township - Providence County) Rhode Island was established
on December 25, 1819 under Postmaster Abner Peckham.
The Post office is currently in operation under Postmaster Jose R.
Machado appointed on June 12, 2004.
is located on the northern shore of the Scituate Reservoir, which
was constructed from 1920 to 1926 and supplies fresh water to much of the
state. Many of Scituate's 19th century textile mills now lie beneath its
waters. The town seat was originally in
South Scituate, however that town was
flooded when the reservoir was built and the town seat was moved to
The town was first settled by emigrants
from Scituate, Massachusetts
in 1710, who named the town in honor of their former home. Scituate was
incorporated in 1731. The town originally included the villages of Ashland,
Clayville, Elmdale, Fiskeville, Glenn Rock, Harrisdale, Jackson, Kent, North
Scituate, Ponaganset, Potterville, Richmond, Rockland, Saundersville, and South
Scituate. With the flooding of Scituate Reservoir, the villages of Kent,
Richmond, Rockland, South Scituate, Ashland, Saundersville, and Ponaganset
disappeared forever beneath the lake's waters.
North Scituate Post Office