The first Central Falls
Post Office, (Central Falls Township, Providence County) opened
on August 7, 1867 with George F. Crowningshield acting as the first
Postmaster. The Post Office was discontinued on April 30, 1909 and reopened
as a branch of the Pawtucket Post Office on May 1, 1909. This branch Post
Office remains open today.
is the smallest municipality in Rhode Island. The city is situated just to
the Northwest of Pawtucket on the Blackstone River and was a
center for many of Rhode Island's manufacturing and industrial plants.
The City of Central Falls was
formerly a part of the town of Lincoln and was first incorporated as a city
on February 21, 1895. The current population of the city is slightly in
excess of 19,000.
The State of Rhode Island has
currently designated Central Falls as a distressed Urban Area and under the
"Distressed Areas Economic Revitalization Act," has declared it
to be a state "Enterprise Zone." The simply means that
manufacturers locating in the city are exempt from paying municipal taxes.
Central Falls is the site of
the oldest known veterans monument in the U.S. It is known as "Nine
Men's Misery" and commemorates the ambush and massacre of Captain
Michael Pierce and his company of Plymouth soldiers during King Phillip's
(Wampanoag Chief Metacom) War in 1676. Only one man survived.
Pawtucket Central Falls Branch Post Office