Shoreham Post Office,
(New Shoreham Township, Newport County)
was established on December 13, 1832
Postmaster William L. Wright.
This post office was disestablished on November 7, 1879 and the name changed to
Block Island. The first postmaster
of the second Block Island Post Office
was Charles W. Willis. The Post
Office is currently in operation under Postmaster Frederick Leeder III
appointed on April 27, 1996.
Charles W. Willis
was born in 1845 on
Island, RI and is listed on the census of 1880 as a
goods merchant and
first sighted by the Italian navigator Giovanni da
The island was named for the Dutch explorer Adriaen
Block who landed there in
The first settlers
landed on the
island from Massachusetts in 1661
and it became a part of the colony of Rhode Island in
Block Island is in
Shoreham Township and is located off the southern coast of Rhode
Island. There are two villages on Block Island;
Shoreham and Isaacs Corner.
Today, the Island plays host to a booming tourist industry.
The island is reached by one of three regular
and two part time ferries from Providence,
RI; Newport, RI;
Point Judith, RI;
CT; and Montauk, Long Island, NY.
Block Island Post Office