Rhode Island Postal
Cards - Fist Day of Issue
Settling of Rhode Island by Roger Williams
Designed by David Blossom - Scott #UX112
Issued on June 26, 1986 in Providence, RI
Rhode Island Town Cancels (by
Bradford, Rhode Island 02808
According to Postal records, the first
Post Office established at Bradford
was the Pawcatuck Post Office
established on November 8, 1847
with John Hiscox acting as Postmaster.
The name was chosen in error, as Pawcatuck
is in Connecticut, not in Rhode
Island. The name was changed to Dorrville,
18 days later on November 26, 1847. (There
are no know covers in existence from the Pawcatuck era.) The Dorrville
Post Office was disestablished
on January 27, 1827 and the name
changed to Niantic with Charles
Vars as Postmaster.
This post office was disestablished
on March 31, 1911 and the name
changed to Bradford. The Post Office
at Bradford, (Westerly
Township, Washington County) was established on March 31,
1911 under Postmaster Enoch Vars (son of Charles Vars). The post office is currently
in operation under Postmaster Nadine A. Davidson appointed on
November 1, 2003.
Bradford was founded
as a mill village in 1846. It is
located in the township of Hopkinton
just west of Burlingame State Park.
Hopkinton was originally a part
of the town of Westerly, but was incorporated
as a separate township in 1757. It
was first settled in 1704 by Daniel
Lewis. The Wood River
forms the boundary between Hopkinton
and Richmond townships. There were a
large number of mills in the area of which only a few remain. Power for
the mills was provided by several rivers including Wood
River, Pawcatuck River
and Ashaway River.
The current population
of Bradford is approximately 1750.
Bradford is 34 miles
southwest of Providence
as the crow flies and is a little over 6 square miles in area.
Bradford Post Office