Post Office (Bristol
Township, Bristol County) was
established on February 11, 1792 under Postmaster Hezekiah
Usher. The Post Office is currently in operation under Postmaster
Judith Ann Glover appointed on November 11, 2006.
is the county seat for Bristol County
in eastern Rhode Island and is located in the township of Bristol. The township
includes the villages of Bristol and
Beach Terrace. It is situated on a
peninsula between Narragansett Bay and Mount Hope Bay, approximately 13 miles
southeast of Providence. It is connected
to Aquidneck (Newport) Island to the south by the
Hope Bridge. Bristol had a total population
of 22,470 in 2000.
The earliest references to
the area indicate that Sowamsett, (The
Native American name for the peninsular) was the favorite
abiding place of Massasoit, Chief of
the Wampanoag Tribe. The first
English settlement in the area was a trading post at Massasoit
Springs, (located in present day
Bristol was incorporated
in 1681 by the Plymouth colony from
land acquired in 1676 near the end of King
Phillip's (Metacom) War, (1675-76)
and was named after Bristol, England. Bristol
was under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts
until 1747, when it was annexed
by Rhode Island. During the American Revolution it was attacked by the British
and partially destroyed on October
7, 1775 and again on May 25, 1778.
Bristol Harbor was an
active center of Privateering and
the Triangular Trade, (rum,
molasses and slaves) during the 17th, 18th and early 19th
centuries. One of Bristol's most notorious slave traders was James
Stampless Folded Letters DeWolf Family Archives) who founded a family shipping firm that was heavily engaged in the slave
trade. From 1825 to 1845
the whaling fishery flourished in
Bristol and at one time there were 34
vessels engaged in the trade,
however by 1850 the trade
had been wholly abandoned.
Boatyard was located in Bristol
Harbor until it closed in 1945.
They were the shipbuilders for eight successful America's
Cup defenders. Today Bristol Harbor is mostly in use by pleasure
Colonial landmarks include
the Joseph Reynolds House,
headquarters of General Lafayette in 1778; the Bosworth
House, oldest house in Bristol (built
in 1680); and the Deputy-Governor
Bradford House, (circa 1760).
American Indian and Eskimo artifacts are displayed at the Haffenreffer
Museum of Anthropology founded in 1955.
Bristol's annual Fourth
of July parade is thought to be the oldest
in the country. It was first observed in
the year 1785.
Bristol Post Office