Rhode Island First Day of Issue Covers
Ratification of the Constitution - Rhode Island Bicentennial
Issued May 29, 1990 in Pawtucket, RI - Scott #2348
Stamp Design is the Old Slater Mill in Pawtucket, RI

John Stambas Cachet of the Colony House in Newport

The Old Colony House in Newport, Rhode Island was one of five courthouses where the Rhode Island General Assembly originally met; each session taking place in rotation at a different one of the five buildings. The other four courthouses were respectively: The Old Courthouse in Providence, King's County Courthouse in Kingston, the Bristol County Courthouse, and the Kent County Courthouse in East Greenwich.

The Old Colony House on Bellevue Avenue and Mill Street in Newport was designed by Richard Munday in 1736 and constructed by Benjamin Wyatt. It was completed in 1739 and is the second oldest capitol building in the country. It was used for General Assemblies until the beginning of the twentieth century and from it's balcony; the Declaration of Independence was first read to the citizens of Rhode Island.

The Old Colony House served as the primary Rhode Island Statehouse until 1901 when the new Statehouse in Providence was completed.

SEE ALSO: Rhode Island Superlatives

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Ratification
Thumbnails Page 5