Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue
First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777
Unofficial Town Cancel -
Wood River Junction
John Kilton Cachet - Planty #777-61a
The Richmond Switch
Post Office, (Richmond
Township, Washington County)
was established on January 25, 1870 under
Postmaster George N. Ennis. On June 14, 1889
while operating under Postmaster Rouse F. Hoxsie
the name was changed to Wood River Junction Post Office.
This Post Office is currently in operation under
Postmaster Maureen A. Black appointed on September
The village of Wood
River Junction is located in the township of Richmond.
It is home to the main campus of the Chariho School District.
Wood River Junction sits between the Wood River
and the Pawcatuck River. The main enterprise in
the area is turf farming.
The Wood River
Branch of the New York, New Haven and Hartford
Railroad was chartered in 1872 and
completed in 1874. The Branch was built to provide
service from the Hope River Valley to the main
line of the New York, Providence and Boston Railroad
and was only six miles long. The New
Haven Railroad took over operation of the Branch in
1892. The railroad was abandoned on
August 8, 1947 and the tracks removed shortly
thereafter. The railroad operated three locomotives
in it's heyday after 1900, one of which was a classic 1870s
twenty ton 4-4-0 named "Gardner Nichols."
Check List of Rhode Island Post
Offices 1790-1994 - Del Beaudreau
Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson
The Rail Lines of Southern New England - Ronald Dale