Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue
First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777
Unofficial Town Cancel - Tiverton,
Unknown Cachet Maker - Planty #777-134a
The Tiverton Post
Township, Newport County)
was established on April 1, 1811
under Postmaster William Norton. The Post Office
is currently in operation under Postmaster Karin N.
Aukerman appointed on July 26, 2003.
The historical district of
Tiverton Four Corners has been extensively
renovated to resemble a small colonial village. The area is
filled with small independent galleries, shops and restaurants
all housed in historic buildings, some dating back to the 1700s.
Tiverton was originally a
part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In
1746 the boundaries between Rhode island and
Massachusetts were changed and as part of the settlement Rhode
Island received the towns of Tiverton,
Barrington, Bristol, Little Compton
and Cumberland. Tiverton was incorporated in
Until about 1900 the
manufacture of fish oil from Menhaden
was one of the main industries of the town. Cotton and woolen
mills in the area also provided a major source of employment.
Check List of Rhode Island Post
Offices 1790-1994 - Del Beaudreau
Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson