Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue
First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777
Unofficial Town Cancel -
1st John B. Kilton Cachet - Planty 777-61j
Post Office, (North
Smithfield Township, Providence County)
was first established on January 24, 1820
as "Slater's Village"
under Postmaster David Fanning. There are no known
covers with a Slater's Village postmark. On April 9, 1834,
the name was changed to Slatersville under
Postmaster Thomas Andrews. The Slatersville Post Office
is currently in operation under Postmaster Christine A.
The village of
Slatersville was originally founded in 1803 by Samuel
Slater and his brother John to support the
Slatersville Mill (the
largest in the country at the time).
The village is located on the Branch River in the Blackstone
River Valley. The family owned the village until 1900 when it
was sold to T. R. Hoope who in turn sold it to Henry P. Kendall
in 1915. Slatersville Congregational Church is home to the
oldest continuously operated Sunday School in the country.
Ratification of the
Constitution - Rhode Island Bicentennial (FDC) with Samuel
Check List of Rhode Island Post
Offices 1790-1994 - Del Beaudreau
Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson