Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777

Unofficial Town Cancel - Kenyon, RI 
1st John B. Kilton Cachet - Planty #777-61b

The Kenyon Post Office, (Richmond Township, Washington County) was established on March 26, 1888 under Postmaster Levi J. Cornell. The post office  is currently in operation under Postmaster Susan M. Walajtys appointed on March 6, 1993.

The Census of 1880 lists Levi Cornell as living in Richmond, Rhode Island and his occupation as farmer. His birth is listed as 1843 in Connecticut.

The Samuel Clark House built in 1691 and located on Lewiston Avenue in Kenyon is on the National Historic Register. The property also contains an old schoolhouse and blacksmith shop. Two black and white photographs of the house are available from the: Library of Congress, Prints and Photograph Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

Check List of Rhode Island Post Offices 1790-1994 - Del Beaudreau
Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson & Crowther

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Unofficial Town Cancels Page 4