Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777

Unofficial Town Cancel - Conimicut, RI
1st John B. Kilton Cachet - Planty 777-61k

The Conimicut Post Office, (Warwick Township - Kent County) was established on February 27, 1906 under Postmaster Anthony F. Talty. The Post Office was disestablished on June 30, 1949 and became a station of the Warwick Post Office on July 1, 1949. The Conimicut Station is currently still in operation.

One of Rhode Island's famous old lighthouses is located on Conimicut Point at the entrance to the Providence River. The lighthouse was constructed in 1878 to aid mariners in navigating the dangerous waters between Rocky Point and Bristol. The Conimicut Lighthouse was the last lighthouse in the country to use a kerosene lamp. It finally received an electric light in 1960.

Source: Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson & Crowther

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Unofficial Town Cancels Page 2