Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue
First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777
Unofficial Town Cancel - Esmond,
Unknown Cachet Maker - Planty 777-17
Esmond Post Office
(Smithfield Township, Providence
was established on October 15, 1908 under
Postmaster Horace G. Thornton. The Post Office was
originally established on January 17, 1881 as the
Enfield Post Office under Postmaster Ira B.
Sweet. The name was changed to Esmond on October 15,
1908. The Post Office was disestablished on
August 31, 1955 and became a branch of the
Providence Post Office on September 1, 1955.
Esmond was originally
known as Allenville
and then as Enfield.
Allenville was established as a mill village. The
in Esmond was added to the National Register of Historic
Places in 1972.
Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson &