Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777

Unofficial Town Cancel - Carolina, Rhode Island
John B. Kilton Cachet - Planty #777-61k

The Carolina Post Office, (Richmond Township, Washington County) was originally established as Carolina Mills on May 27, 1850. The first Postmaster was Bradford Kenyon. The name was changed to Carolina on December 30, 1879 under Postmaster Joseph H. Babcock . The post office was disestablished on November 16, 1895 and reestablished on December 6, 1895 in a new facility. This post office is currently in operation.

Bradford Kenyon was born in Richmond, Rhode Island in 1812. Joseph H. Babcock was born in Richmond in 1833 and his occupation was listed on the 1870 census as a merchant. 

Source: Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson & Crowther

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Unofficial Town Cancels Page 1