The Jamestown Post
Township, Newport County)
was established on April 12, 1836 under
Postmaster Caleb Weaver. The post office
was disestablished on December 31, 1836.
The second Jamestown Post Office was
established on February 23, 1847 and
disestablished on April 10, 1850. The
third Jamestown Post Office was established
on July 5, 1850 under Postmaster Benjamin
Congdon. This Post Office is currently in operation
under Postmaster Charles V. Burns appointed on
May 28, 2005.
(There are no known
covers from the first Jamestown Post Office.)
Jamestown Library (Historical)
Website states that,
"The first post office was established in 1844, with
William A. Weeden, Jr., as the postmaster."
This contradicts the information in
"Rhode Island Postal History"
by Merolla, Jackson and Crowther. William Weeden
was actually the first Postmaster of the 2nd Jamestown Post
Office established in 1847.
The island of
takes it name from the Narragansett Indian Chief
Canonicus. Conanicut Island was
purchased by Benedict Arnold and
William Coddington from the Narragansett's in 1657.
The town of Jamestown
(originally James Towne
- for King James)
was incorporated on November 4, 1678.
The Benedict Arnold mentioned above was
not the Arnold of later infamy. It is believed that the old
Stone Tower in Newport, RI was originally built
as a mill by Arnold.
Settling of Rhode Island - Doback Cachet with Old Stone Mill
are mentioned as being engaged in the African and
West Indies slave trade during the early 19th
century. They were Captains Gardiner,
Eldred, Fowler, and Remington.
The Weeden and Weaver families are
both mentioned as being prominent in early Jamestown history.
Other families that were prominent in early Jamestown history
include the Anthonys, Arnolds,
Carrs, Gardiners, Howlands,
Hulls, and Watsons.
There are two
bridges connecting Jamestown with the mainland on either
side of the bay; to Plum Point in North Kingstown
and to Newport. Prior to the bridges being
constructed, there were a number of ferries operating to
both sides of the bay. The last of these ferries; the Newport
Ferry was in operation until 1969 when the
Claiborne Pell Bridge was completed
between Jamestown and Newport. Prior to 1940,
there were also ferries in operation between Jamestown
and Saunderstown and Jamestown and South
The first ferry was
established between Jamestown and Newport by
Governor Carr who obtained the charter in 1695.
Ferry service was established to the West
Kingstown) in 1709.
During the Revolutionary War both ferries
and landings were destroyed by the British,
who also burned and destroyed the town of
Jamestown except for the house of the Tory,
Captain John Martin.
Lighthouse, at the extreme southern point of the island
is no longer operational, but is maintained as a historic
site and attracts many visitors annually.
Beavertail Light Event Cover
- RIPEX 27 Event Cover -
Includes history of the Light and a personal narrative.