The Post Office in
(Newport Township, Newport County)
Rhode Island was
however the official
establishment was on
June 24, 1790.
The first postmaster
was Jacob Richardson.
This post office is currently operating under Postmaster
George F. McKiernan appointed on September 30,
The city of Newport - Newport
County is in the southeastern part of Rhode Island. It is
located on the southern end of Aquidneck
Island in Narragansett Bay.
The city was founded in 1639 by a
group of religious refugees from the Massachusetts Bay Colony
led by William Coddington. Originally Coddington was part of a
group that settled Portsmouth, RI, however after a falling out,
he led his followers to the south and founded Newport.
Because of its excellent harbor, Newport
soon became one of the most important seaports of colonial North
America. The town's early merchants prospered in the
of rum, molasses and slaves
between New England, Africa and the Caribbean. James Franklin,
an older brother of Benjamin established the first Rhode Island
printing press in Newport in 1727 and his son James, Jr.
established the "Newport
which is still in print today as a weekly newspaper. The British
occupation of Newport from 1776 to 1779 caused most of the
city's prominent merchants to flee to Providence and other
of Rhode Island" was fought
in the area around Newport and the
Rhode Island Regiment"
composed mostly of
African American soldiers
held the line for over four hours against superior British and
Hessian forces. It was due to their valiant efforts during this
battle that the American Army was able to escape. General
Lafayette called it, "The
best fought action of the war."
After the Civil War due to its
temperate climate and scenic location, Newport became the in
place for the summer homes of the American Nobility
The Vanderbilt's, Kennedy's Rockefellers and others built many
palatial mansions along the coastline. They are among Newport's
major tourist attractions today.
Newport was one of the five
original Rhode Island capital cities,
(each serving in rotation).
This was reduced to just Newport and Providence in 1854.
Providence became the sole Capital in 1900.
Newport contains a great many original
colonial buildings including: the Friends Meeting House
the Old Colony House (1739),
Trinity Church (1725–26),
Touro Synagogue (1763),
Redwood Library and Athenaeum (1747),
and the Artillery Company of Newport
Military Museum. The old section of Newport, known as The Point
- on the harbor front, has homes of colonial merchants,
including Hunter House (1748),
now restored as a museum. The Old Stone Mill is a circular stone
tower that is probably one of the oldest European-built edifices
in the United States.
(It is believed to have been built as a
windmill for an early settler by Narragansett Indian labor.)
The International Tennis Hall of Fame and
Museum is located in the Newport Casino and the city has long
been known as a yachting center. The
America Cup Races
were held here until 1980 and the
Museum of Yachting
is located in Fort Adams State Park. The city was the site of
the Newport Jazz Festival from 1954 until 1971, when it was
moved to New York. A festival of classical music is held
annually in Newport in July, and a revived jazz festival
is held there in August.
Newport was incorporated as a
city in 1784 and resumed the town form of government in 1787,
but in 1853 it was reincorporated as a city. The United States
Navy continues to be a major factor in the city with its complex
of commands and installations, including the Naval Education and
Training Center, Naval War College, Surface Warfare Officers
School Command, Naval Justice School, and Naval Undersea Warfare
Off Soundings -
Alexander Boyd Hawes
The Providence Plantations for 250 Years (J.A. Reid - 1886)
Rhode Island Postal History - Merolla, Jackson and Crowther