The Towns & Post Offices of Rhode
with June 9, 1868-69 Fancy Cancel
With a fine example of a Grilled Stamp Scott #94a
(Scroll Down for Background
The above cover has a very nice example of
a Rosette Fancy Cancel. The cover is doubly interesting because
of the grilled stamp in use. The stamp is the 3 Cent
Washington - Scott number 94a with the F grill
and was produced by the National Bank Note Company
from 1867 to 1870.
The purpose of the grilling on this and other stamp issues
between 1867 and 1870 was to break the fiber of the paper so
that the ink from the cancel would soak into the stamp paper and
prevent its reuse. (It was a
common practice of the time to wash the cancel from used stamps
and then reuse them.)
The Richmond Switch Post Office
Washington County) was
established on January 25, 1870 under
Postmaster George N. Ennis. The post office was
disestablished on June 14, 1889 and the
name changed to Wood River Junction.
Noyes Wells Kenyon was
born in 1808. He was married to
Eunice Wheeler on May 16, 1841.
1868-69 William Potter Cover
for further information on the National
Bank Note Company's Grilled Stamp Issues.
(Includes a Blow-Up image of