Rhode Island Tercentenary Issue First Day Cover
300th Anniversary of the Settlement of Rhode Island
Issued on May 4, 1936 in Providence, RI - Scott #777

Unofficial Town Cancel - Wakefield, RI
Unknown Cachet Maker - Planty #777-23a

The Wakefield Post Office, (South Kingstown Township, Washington County) was established on May 25, 1825 under Postmaster William A Robinson. This Post Office is currently in operation under Postmaster William P. Harrington Jr. appointed on June 1, 1991.

Roland Hazard was instrumental in founding the towns of Peacedale and Wakefield. Wakefield was originally named Mumford's Mill after the snuff mill located there. Around 1820 Roland renamed the village Wakefield after the family and town in England. The Hazard family played a large part in the early textile industry in Southern Rhode Island.

SEE ALSO: The Museum of Primitive Art and Culture
History of the Hazard Family of Peace Dale, Rhode Island 
1843 Isaac P. Hazard Letter 
History of Carolina Mills 
Intro to "Jonny-Cake Papers" Bio of Thomas Hazard by Roland Gibson Hazard II - 1915 
Postcard - Hazard Memorial Hall 
Postcard - Hazard's Castle 

Check List of Rhode Island Post Offices 1790-1994 - Del Beaudreau
Rhode Island Postal History: The Post Offices - Merolla, Jackson & Crowther

RI Historical Society
The Post Offices
Home Page
RI Tercentenary Issue History
RI Philatelic Society
Recently Added Pages
Philatelic Primer
Rhode Island Around the World
Rhode Island Town Postmarks
Other Websites of Interest

Return to Unofficial Town Cancels Page 6