East Providence Branch
of the Providence Post Office was established on
July 1, 1908. The Branch was initially
established as the Watchemoket Post Office under
Postmaster Welcome G. Comstock on April
19, 1869. The name was changed to East
Providence on December 4, 1879 under
Postmaster Edmund J. Luther. The Post Office became
a Station of the Providence Post Office on
July 1, 1907 and a Branch Post Office
of Providence on July 1, 1908. East Providence
Branch is currently in operation.
was formerly part of the state of Massachusetts. In 1862, the
Massachusetts towns of
became part of the State of Rhode Island and Providence
Plantations in exchange for the former Rhode Island town of
East Providence was
originally named Seekonk,
(Land of the Black Geese).
Roger Williams first settled there after being banished from
Massachusetts, however after discovering that the area was
actually within Massachusetts's boundaries, he moved across
the bay to the area that is now the city of Providence, RI.
There are currently 17 Post Office
branches and stations located in the Providence Urban area;
at the time the tercentenary stamp was issued in 1936
there were only 14 branches and stations. Each
of the branch and station post offices represented by a
tercentenary cancel include a location map as below.
The 14 Branch and
Stations of the Providence Post Office in 1936 were as listed
||3. East Side-station